Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bubble Wrap, Mermaids, and Tagines… oh my?

The last few weeks have flown by in a whirlwind of boxes, bubble wrap, and packing tape! This is what my days recently have been looking like:
boxes under the lovely fluorescent lighting
that only a basement can provide!
Luckily I’m starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Justin only has 2 weeks left of work and then the real fun begins – buying the remaining things needed for the Peace Corps, finishing packing and storing all of our stuff, and then doing our grand NYC tour before leaving for Vietnam, Thailand, and Scotland in mid-July!

We have been able to do a few fun things in the meantime though, including seeing the famous Mermaid Parade in Coney Island (1 thing crossed off of our NYC Goodbye tour list!).  I’m starting a Flickr page to house all of our photos over the next 2 years – you can click here to view photos from the Mermaid Parade (warning: photos are a bit scandalous, NYC’s version of Mardi Gras!) and you’ll see that I have added a widget on the righthand side of the blog to showcase recent photos that have been uploaded onto the Flickr page.  A few choice photos below to showcase this truly outlandish event, I kept these fairly PG…













In addition to the Mermaid Parade, Justin and I just took an “Essentials of Moroccan Cooking” class at the Institute of Culinary Education in Manhattan, thanks to a birthday gift card from my parents. Not only was it such a fun experience (our first cooking class!), but it also got us both very excited about our Moroccan adventure to come.

The dishes included the most wonderful meats, spices, and produce and you can imagine the tantalizing smells that filled our classroom/kitchen. Here’s what the menu included, and to reward those that got this far in the post, I have posted a link to download the recipe for my personal favorite dish from the night, “Lamb Tagine with Prunes”. Click here to download; hope you enjoy it as much as I did! All other recipes available upon request; just email me.

Menu:
Couscous aux Sept Legumes (Seven-Vegetable Couscous)
B’stilla (Sweet and Savory Squab Pie)
Kefta (Finely ground, skewered meat)
Harira (a hearty vegetable soup)
Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons and Olives
Lamb Tagine with Prunes and Almonds
Roasted Pepper and Tomato Salad
Carrot Salad with Lemon Garlic Dressing
Beet Salad with Orange Flower Water
Harissa (a hot red pepper paste used as a condiment)
Moroccan Bread
Mint Tea

More to come as we embark on our goodbye NYC adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren!
    Good to see someone else who will be joining the other two people I know of shipping out to Morocco in September!

    Check out my blog at - americanmuslimahsmusings.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ally, thanks for the note and can't wait to meet you! I just visited your blog and am following it now, so I look forward to hearing about your adventures getting ready for September :)

    ReplyDelete