Saturday, August 27, 2011

Time Flies


I write this new post from Missouri, currently at 3,175 miles into our road trip and 17 states covered! We leave for the Peace Corps in just a little over 2 weeks. The passage of time has been on my mind a LOT over the course of this road trip.

Partially because Justin and I have been unemployed and on vacation long enough to forget the dates or days of the weeks (a problem that I am very happy to have!).

And, partially because we realized in the middle of Alabama that we had crossed over to Central time and would accidentally surprise our hosts an hour earlier than expected (fortunately, it’s a lesson that we learned now, so when we cross back over to Eastern on the way to Pittsburgh next week, we won’t show up an hour late!).

Lastly (and perhaps most importantly), the passage of time has stood firmly on my mind as I spend hours catching up with friends and family and thinking and talking about our upcoming Peace Corps adventures. I have spent time with and met new little people in my friends’ and families' lives (see below) and as I said “See you in 2013!”, I thought to myself about the changes that will be taking place over these 2 years.
For these little ones, the change will be remarkably physical – losing baby fat and growing taller, building a vocabulary, running around all over the place, eating solid foods, getting hurt and starting to learn lessons as they grow up and experience the world. For Justin and me, our adventures in the Peace Corps will likely not be as physical (though I hope to lose some of the road-trip-earned pounds on a cous-cous diet!) but will instead be emotional and mental.  I imagine that I will get frustrated, and confused, angry, and sad at times. I also imagine that I will stretch my capabilities and skills, perhaps get inspired, learn about an entirely new culture, learn a new language, and get to see new parts of the world. When we return in 2013, our growth may not be as physically apparent as these kids but it will likely be just as life-changing in many other ways.

Time sure does fly.

One last addition, speaking of flying! I mentioned a surprise side trip in Mississippi in my last post
That wasn't us, but you get the idea! Justin and I jumped (fell) out of a plane at 14,000 feet in the air. We did cannonball flips and twirls and turns, I fell straight through a cloud, we both loved every minute of it.  

That’s all for now. It’s been a wonderful trip, more updates to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment