Thursday, September 22, 2011

Quick update

Just wanted to get an update out to everyone! It's been a busy but incredibly fun time in our training site in Fes. We had one day off and was able to do some exploring around the city. This is Justin and me in front of one of the King's palaces in the center of Fes, along with some gorgeous tilework on the sides of the palace.

 
 
 
Justin and I are leaving our training site in Fes this afternoon and heading into what the Peace Corps calls "Community-Based Training." We'll be spending the next 2 months or so living in a small community with a host family, and engaging in intense training to prepare us in the language, culture, and youth and community development work to give us a strong foundation for the next 2 years to come :) If all goes well, we'll be sworn in as official Peace Corps volunteers in late November. 

I'm not sure what my internet access will be at our new site, so I wanted to make sure I gave everyone the updates now! We'll be living in Moulay Yacoub, about 20 minutes outside of Fes. It's a moderately-sized town (about 13,000 people) and it's right on the side of a mountain. Our training house is near the bottom of the mountain, and all the facilities that we'll need (post office, grocery store, bank, etc) are at the top of the mountain - which means I'll finally get the chance to burn off all the good Moroccan food we've been eating!! Justin and I will be living with a host family with 6 siblings - 3 boys and 3 girls, ranging in age from 8 to 19. I'm hoping the younger ones will help us practice our language skills, though they will likely be FAR beyond us even at a young age!

We're both really excited but very nervous/anxious to be living in a new community and particularly with a family.. but looking forward to more adventures and more to learn! I hope to be able to post more soon, along with some photos of our new community. I looked online and here's all I could find - not sure if it's accurate but it looks pretty!


No comments:

Post a Comment