Sunday, May 15, 2011

Life is Calling*... Part One

I mentioned in my last blog post that the last year has been quite a journey for me. I’m going to spend the next few blog posts talking about some of those experiences.  But first, where it all began. Starting last summer when I
QUIT MY JOB. 

My 1st billboard, in Times Square (the Nokia one).
One of the sexier parts of the job!
Yes that’s right. I said goodbye to my 15-hour work days in the flashy, sexy ad world to spend the summer volunteering, reading books about my Briggs Meyers personality, and generally exploring new paths in which I could take my career. I said goodbye to some of the very good things about the advertising industry – an amazingly creative environment, some incredibly smart and talented people, and the excitement and satisfaction of seeing my work on TV or on a huge billboard. I also said goodbye to some of the very bad parts of the industry – a 24-hour work environment, high stress and insane deadlines, and most importantly, the feeling that I was not contributing as best as I could to the world.

Quitting was very out character for me, given that I started working 3 days after college when the rest of my friends were taking the summer off to relax (those 3 days, by the way, included packing up my life and moving up the east coast from New Orleans to NYC). And I pretty much kept that pattern throughout my ad career, working long days/nights and taking very little time off.

And quitting was absolutely the hardest thing that I have done in my life – just the scariness of leaving the comfort of a job, leaving a world that although wasn’t right for me, was still very much what I was used to, and attempting to embrace the unknown of what would come. But I didn’t have the time while in my job to really figure out the path that was best for me. And since I supported Justin while he was in law school (both financially and emotionally), I decided that it was payback time!

Speaking of Justin, just a quick shout-out... I am incredibly fortunate that he was my ROCK during this time, supporting me in whatever I needed to do and nudging me when I started to falter or lose my drive.

So May 21, 2010. This is when it all started! To be continued in the next post…

*Footnote: In case you are wondering, “Life is Calling” (also in my header on top of the blog) is the current Peace Corps motto.  The whole thing reads “Life is calling… how far will you go?”

No comments:

Post a Comment